By now I know you’ve heard of the recent health trend “Oil Pulling” also known as “kavala”. Justabrooklyngyrl is here to give you all the things you need to try out this health craze as well as tell you the benefits of oil pulling every morning before breakfast.
I first heard of it last summer on an episode Dr. Oz, oil pulling or oil swishing is an old remedy where coconut oil is swished or held in the mouth for about 20 minutes. This remedy is known to cure hangovers, draw toxins out of your body, as well as improve oral health, and health in general.
The things you need to try this out are simple and more importantly inexpensive! Are you ready?
1. Natural Coconut Oil (found at your local health food store, Trader Joes, or GNC for about $14) I use coconut oil because of its antibacterial properties but you can also use sesame or olive oil.
3. Plastic Bag or ziplock bag
4. Tooth Brush (besides the one you use on a daily basis)
The Steps are simple and might disgust you for the first try or first five minutes!!!
But heres the thing just think of the health benefits in the long run. Try practicing this in the morning during your everyday routine before work. I usually do it while watching the news or putting my clothes on for work. Before you know it your done oil pulling and ready for your day!
It has to be done in the morning on an empty stomach for best results.
1. Put 1-2 teaspoons of coconut oil into your mouth. It scoops up as a solid so you have to let it melt in your mouth before “swishing”.
2. Swish for 20 minutes: so timing is the key! The longer the better because it has to break through plaque and bacteria but not long enough that the body starts “re-absorbing” the toxins and bacteria! You get the picture!
(The oil will get thicker and milky mixed with saliva during this time and should be creamy and white when you spit it out)
3. Spit it out into the garbage can or a plastic bag! Never your sink or toilet! Do Not Swallow!
4. Rinse well with warm water.
5. Brush with a separate tooth brush! To be sure that any remaining bacteria is killed.
Hope you enjoy!
Be sure to comment your experience and your own do’s and don’ts on “Oil Pulling”